13 Feb Attic Woes Often Require an Expert
Posted at 19:26h in Energy & Money Conservation
If, while inspecting your attic, you run across any of these issues, it is probably time to contact a HVAC professional.
- Wet or damp insulation: The insulation in your attic should be thoroughly dry, so if you find yours to be wet, or even the least bit damp, this indicates that your roof may be leaky, and you’ll need to call in a professional contractor.
- Moldy rafters: If the rafters in your attic show signs of mold or rotting, this means you’re likely dealing with some moisture problems. Mold or rot means it’s time to contact an expert instead of tackling it yourself.
- Vents exhausting air into the attic: The vents for your kitchen, bathroom and clothes dryer should all be pumping their warm, moist air directly outside. If you find any of yours to be instead exhausting this air into your attic, this can cause some serious moisture problems and should be attended to by a professional as soon as possible.
- History of ice dams: Ice dams are thick layers of ice that can build on your rooftop during the winter. Over time, they trap significant amounts of moisture underneath them, which ultimately can leak through your roof and into your attic. If you’ve ever experienced these, it indicates some serious air leak problems, and you’ll need to call in a professional contractor right away.
- Lack of ventilation: If you feel that your attic may not have sufficient ventilation, it’s a good idea to bring in a local HVAC contractor simply as a precautionary measure. They can then assess your specific situation and advise you further.
Haley Mechanical is your go-to experts in Washtenaw and Livingston County. Give us a call (734-424-9170) with any questions or concerns you may have.