17 Dec Keep Your SE Michigan Home Warm and Toasty Throughout the Winter Season with a Radiant Heating System
For most southeast Michigan homeowners, a forced-air system comes to mind when you think about heating your home. The fact is, radiant heating has been an effective and reliable way to heat homes for thousands of years! In fact, radiant heating can be more energy efficient, which translates to money savings.
At Haley Mechanical, we want you to understand how radiant heating works, and the many benefits of using this method to keep your home toasty all winter long.
How Radiant Heating Works
Used in archaic form by the Romans, you’ve likely experienced radiant heat before, although you may not have realized it. Radiant heat is the warming effect you experience when in a room with a fire such as in a woodstove or fireplace, or heat radiating from a hot stovetop in a kitchen.
In your home, heat is delivered via electric, air-heated, or hydronic (liquid-based) systems installed in the floor. Another type of radiant heating is through panels placed in the walls or ceiling. Floor systems are more common, although both supply the warmth of the system’s hot source directly to a room via infrared radiation.
Advantages of Heating Your Michigan Home Using a Radiant System
- Less operation noise
- Increased energy efficiency when compared to some forced-air systems and baseboard heating (leaky or uninsulated ductwork can reduce energy efficiency in forced-air systems)
- More consistent comfort levels – rooms are more evenly heated
- Hydronic systems reduce the amount of electricity used substantially
- Less space required for mechanical equipment
- Fewer allergens and improved indoor air quality when compared to forced-air systems
- Easier to maintain because mechanical equipment is centrally located
As a homeowner in Ypsilanti, Dexter, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Howell, or other SE Michigan community, we highly recommend a radiant heating system for those who want to enjoy a warm, comfortable home this winter season while enjoying reduced energy costs!