30 Oct Here’s How to Lower Your Water Bills
Summer is the season that most southeast Michigan homeowners typically experience higher water bills, due to increased consumption. However, there are some easy ways to lower your water bill year round, helping you save a little money (in summer months, you could save substantially)!
At Haley Mechanical, we want to help homeowners in Dexter, Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor, and surrounding areas save on water usage and cost. Here’s our recommendation:
1. Consider a dual-flush or low-flow toilet. Low-flow toilets use far less water when flushed than standard models, and dual-flush models are even more efficient.
2. Install low-flow fixtures in the kitchen and bath. Fixtures labeled low-flow are highly efficient. For instance, low-flow faucets installed in the kitchen and bathrooms often use only one-fifth of the water consumed by standard faucets!
3. In summer months, install rain barrels. Watering the lawn and flower beds in summer months can leave you with an astronomical water bills. In fact, taking care of outdoor watering needs can account for up to 40% of your total water usage. Consider collecting rain water in barrels to be used for irrigating your lawn and flower/vegetable gardens.
4. Install high-efficiency appliances. Your washing machine and dishwasher may not be as efficient as newer models. When it’s time to replace, consider one of the newer models labeled high-efficiency.
5. Install a recirculation pump. Waiting for the water to get hot before you shower is not only frustrating, but the amount of water used can really add up. By installing an on-demand recirculation pump, the hot water from the water heater reaches you almost immediately, meaning no more wasted water going down the drain while you wait for the water to heat.
Water is one of those “natural” resources which is becoming in shorter supply as time goes on; by conserving water, you not only reduce how much you pay each month, you’re doing your part to help conserve a resource that is essential for life not only in the U.S., but around the world.
Whether you have home comfort issues or are in search of more expert advice on how to reduce your consumption of water (and thus lower your bill), count on the professionals at Haley Mechanical.