Temperatures get cold in Michigan, and with winter just around the corner, there’s no better time to assess the safety of your home – including your carbon monoxide detectors. Homeowners in Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and other areas of southeast Michigan will be firing up the furnaces soon if you have not already. It is essential to check that your smoke alarms and CO detectors are working properly so that you can have peace of mind knowing your family and home are protected.
Carbon Monoxide Detector Maintenance
Because CO has no odor and is invisible, carbon monoxide poisoning can occur before you know it. Here are a few suggestions to ensure your CO detectors are in good working order:
- Use a dry dusting cloth to wipe the housing of your detectors
- Replace the battery a minimum of twice each year
- If your unit doesn’t seem to be functioning properly, replace it
- A CO detector’s life expectancy is typically five years, so replace accordingly
Smoke Detector Maintenance
A smoke detector is essential in protecting your family and alerting you to danger, particularly while sleeping or in areas of your home not in close proximity to a fire’s origin. Your smoke alarms can mean the difference between life and death, so consider the following:
- Back-up batteries in a hardwired alarm should be replaced one time per year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. If you have 9-volt powered smoke detectors, replace the batteries once per year as well.
- Press the test button to ensure your smoke alarms are functioning properly. This should be done once per month according to the USFA.
- If any smoke detector in your home doesn’t function properly, replace it immediately.
- Vacuum or gently wipe the housing with a dry dusting cloth to keep it clean.
- Most smoke alarms last about ten years but check your manual to see what the manufacturer recommends in regards to your brand and model. Call the manufacturing company if you do not have your manual, or if your alarms are getting old, simply replace them anyway.
Need more information about CO detectors, smoke alarms, and keeping your home and family safe? At Haley Mechanical, we’re ready to answer all of your questions! We invite southeast Michigan homeowners to contact us today for all of your home comfort and safety needs.