28 Feb Lower the Thermostat on your Hot Water Heater to 120°F
1. Turn off the circuit breaker for the water heater at the electrical box. If it is not listed on the location sheet inside of the panel, be on the safe side and turn off all the power.
2. Remove the access panel on the water heater with a screwdriver.
3. Carefully remove the insulation.
4. There may be an upper and a lower heating unit, in which case there will be two thermostats behind two panels.
5. Set both, or one if that is all there is, to the same temperature using a flathead screwdriver. The US Department of Energy suggests that homeowners note the beginning temperature and adjusted temperature and check the tap temperature at the faucet farthest from the heater. Make adjustments until the desired tap temperature, in this case120 degrees, is reached.
6. Replace insulation and access panel.
7. Turn the circuit breaker on.