Between putting up holiday lights and gas/electric usage soaring due to heater usage in Michigan’s frigid winter season, utility bills are often unusually high. The DOE (Department of Energy) claims that each year, families spend more than $1,900 on electricity and other utilities. Much of this cost can be attributed to energy waste during winter months!
Whether you live in Ann Arbor, Dexter, Plymouth, Howell, or another area in southeast Michigan, there are things you can do to save on energy use, and therefore utility costs:
- You can enjoy a comfortable, warm home without wasting energy
- While heat is on, keep windows and doors closed
- Replace the filters in your furnace often
- Consider having a programmable thermostat installed
- Lower the thermostat to 120 degrees Fahrenheit on your hot water heater
Save energy while improving the lighting in your home
- LED lights use 90% less energy than standard Christmas lights, so consider them for your holiday decorating.
- Turn off lights in rooms that aren’t being used. If you’re still using traditional light bulbs, replace them with compact fluorescent light bulbs; CFL bulbs last about six to twelve times longer.
General Energy Saving Tips
- Conserve energy throughout your home
- Water leaks in the kitchen, laundry room, or bath should be repaired as soon as detected
- Use kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans only when necessary
- If it’s time to replace appliances, choose those that are Energy Star rated; those with the Energy Star logo conserve energy
Make it easier to turn off appliances/devices such as cell phone chargers, televisions, and portable heaters when not in use by using power strips
Low-income families can get assistance with energy bills in the winter months by contacting LIHEAP, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. To learn if you qualify, visit the Office of Community Services website.
Haley Mechanical wants to help you save on energy costs this winter season. We invite all SE Michigan homeowners to contact us today with all of your home comfort questions!